Wednesday, June 5, 2013

2013 Summer To-Do List

The Rationale

Summer vacation is arguably the number one perk of being a teacher. A guaranteed two-months off every year makes things like disgruntled parents, piles of grading, and disappointing paydays worth it. At the same time, I am the type of teacher person who thrives on structure and a sense of accomplishment. While I can spend summer vacation doing (pretty much) whatever I want, I know I will be happiest if I can look back those first few weeks of August and say, "Look what I did!" rather than, "Where did the time go?" How will I accomplish this, you ask? Enter my to-do list.

When I say "tackling life one to-do list at a time," I mean it...literallly. I use to-do lists at work, at home, and in my head. They bring order to chaos, bring me the satisfaction of crossing items off one by one, and release me from the anxiety of feeling like I haven't done "enough"--and trust me, that last one is a HUGE accomplishment. They also keep me from spending hours of my free time on tasks that don't really matter...like watching TV, staring at the wall, and--you guessed it--perusing Pinterest. Whenever I start feeling overwhelmed, lazy, or unmotivated--I know it's time for a to-do list.

This summer, I want to live a more project-oriented life. I want to serve my husband and my son. I want to challenge myself, reinvigorate my creativity, and learn new skills. I want to be a better mom and friend. That is what I will build my summer around, and this to-do list will help me do that.

The Plan

Today, I write my list. Tomorrow, and for the rest of the summer, I will make every effort to do or at least work on one item from the list each day. When I find myself hating the invention of Netflix and shaking my head in disbelief over the time I've already spent on shows like "30 Rock" and "Parks and Recreation," I will pull up this list and find something better to do. To help keep me honest, I will track my progress via roughly weekly posts on how I've spent my time and what I've accomplished, hopefully inspiring one or two people in the process.

The List

Nota bene: Be prepared for a very, very long list. I like to itemize projects so I can cross off items throughtout the process. Tedious, right?

BTW: If an item has been strikedout, then it moved from "to-do" and became a "to done." ; )

  1. Finish my fish sketch
  2. Hang my fish sketch
  3. Add bath photos of Brannon or other artwork to finish out the hall bathroom
  4. Have a picnic with Brannon
  5. Get my haircut
  6. Repair the holes in the walls
  7. Patch the holes in the closet doors (all from Brannon)
  8. Start Brannon's bed quilt (Pattern & fabric bought)
  9. Set-up a display system for Brannon's art & worksheets (I'll add more later)
  10. Do something with unused picture frames & family room walls
  11. Hang Derek's guitars (although this is really a honey-do item)
  12. Install a clothes line on the back porch (even if I never use it) (Bought the hardware--waiting for hubby's help)
  13. Finish decorating laundry room--wall art, homemade bunting, picture frames
  14. Memo board tutorial post
  15. 7x7 Putting Me Together fashion link-up
  16. Sew a skirt
  17. Sew something from Goodwill fabric
  18. Make infinity scarf for Sande
  19. Make blue and white infinity scarf
  20. Make a wreath or other door hanging for the front door
  21. Find a good place to store the Slip N' Slide
  22. Sign Brannon up for swim classes (Decided to do that next summer)
  23. Do one "kid pin" with Brannon each week (ongoing)
  24. Plant something with Brannon
  25. Paint something with Brannon
  26. Create Brannon's fourth Shutterfly book (So VERY close to finished--just waiting for hubby's letter)
  27. Help my husband lose weight (ongoing, but started)
  28. Try new recipes (ongoing)
  29. Read The Perks of Being a Wall Flower
  30. Do work stuff that shall not be named nor fully committed to (working on it)
  31. Take a road trip
  32. Hang hooks in the master bedroom
  33. Hamel family portrait session
  34. Use my Gap gift card
  35. Use my Target gift card
  36.  Make the necklace and earring set for my mom
  37. Weed the front yard (again) and treat it with pre-emergent spray
  38. Purge all closets and storage areas
  39. Decide whether or not I should continue to hoard Brannon's baby clothes
  40. Start taking Doc for regular walks (started & he LOVES it)
  41. Deep clean carpets, hopefully erasing the pet smell from every carpeted room in our house
  42. Buy yard clippers
  43. Use yard clippers to clean up bushes in the front yard
  44. Help Brannon learn his letters (ongoing)
  45. Help Brannon learn to recognize written numbers (ongoing)
  46. Spend more time with Stephanie
  47. Send Pinterest code to Kim
  48. Transfer features and shut down "To Blog or Not to Blog" (decided I may as well ignore it & leave it up--no shortage of space on the internet, right?)
  49. Try to make gluten-free play dough...cheaply (decided to skip this project)
  50. Make family-photo monogram (decided to skip this project)
  51. Family-photo monogram post
  52. Wash the car
  53. Continue weekly gratitude and The Everyday Celiac posts (ongoing)
  54. Moon Valley Ward nursery post (letting go of this one, too)
  55. Identify & commit to family chores
  56. Hang spice racks
  57. Repair grout in dining room
  58. Deep clean shower and tub stalls
  59. Deep clean and whiten bed pillows
  60. Father's day gifts
  61. Send verification of residence to NSP
  62. Get knives back...hopefully
  63. Make a decision about my birthday gift from my dad and act on it
  64. Spend time with my dad
  65. RELAX, HAVE FUN, and ENJOY MYSELF